Why Should You Clean Your Mattress?
Imagine getting a good night’s sleep tonight! On average we spend about one-third of our time in bed. Keeping your sleeping area clean and allergen free is essential for your health.
According to a study published by The National Institute of Environmental Health, 46 percent of North American homes have bedding with enough dust mite allergens to cause allergies. For allergy sufferers, the bedroom is the primary source of dust mite exposure in the home. About 60 percent of mites in the home are found in the mattress, as we spend one third of our life in bed – shedding skin and feeding dust mites. According to the Center for Disease Control, a mattress can have from 10,000 to 10,000,000 dust mites in it. Do you know who your sleeping with? We can help reduce allergens by cleaning your mattresses. Call Kleenrite Carpet Care at 631-451-1349.
How We Can Help With Your Mattress Cleaning?
Kleenrite professionally cleans mattresses. First the mattress is vacuumed with a truck mount so the allergens are vented outside or with a portable HEPA vacuum system that we bring. Then we wet-clean the top and all four sides of the mattress. The fabric will not be over wet with the specialized upholstery cleaning tools that we use in our business. To accelerate the dry time we recommend turning on overhead fans or any other fans that you have in the room.
To Effectively Control Dust Mite Allergens:
- The mattress should be regularly cleaned, about every 6 months for allergy sufferers.
- Wash bedding weekly in hot water and dry in a hot dryer.
- Cover mattresses, box springs and pillows in airtight, zippered plastic or allergen proof fabric covers.
- Don’t forget the pillows. Did you know an old pillow can contain up to 20 percent of its weight in dead dust mites, dust mite body parts and their fecal matter. We know its gross, but it’s the facts. Pillows should be replaced every six months.
Reduce Dust Mites – The No. 1 Indoor Allergen Source
The most common cause of indoor allergy and asthma symptoms is dust mites, microscopic creatures that thrive in household dust, even in the cleanest homes. Dust mites are microscopic, eight-legged arachnids (not insects) 0.3mm in length. They are invisible to the human eye, so small they can crawl through the weave of bedding fabrics. Dust mites feed on tiny flakes of shed human skin cells. The average adult, sheds about 2 pounds of skin per year. This will feed millions of dust mites, make more human feces & increase allergies causing havoc to your immune system.
The dust mite is not what causes the problem. The problem lies with a protein found in the fecal matter called Der p1. The fecal matter is lighter than air and becomes airborne when disturbed by activity like fluffing pillows and tossing and turning during the night. The airborne particles are inhaled; the protein Der p1 breaks down the protective mucous lining of human eyes, nose, lungs and skin. The allergens enter the body and cause an overreaction of the human immune system.
Apply A Specialized Allergy Relief Treatment From MasterBlends Responsible Care System
After a thorough cleaning, Kleenrite Carpet Care can apply a specialized Allergy Relief Treatment created by a company named MasterBlend. This product has been proven effective in denaturing the protein allergens from dust mite droppings (Der p1 and Der f1), cockroach droppings (Bla g1), dog dander (Can f1), and cat saliva (Fel d1). Allergy Relief Treatment is a water-based solution that contains a powerful active ingredient derived from naturally occurring extracts found in certain fruit and vegetable seeds. It works by denaturing the structure of the allergen, and thus, substantially reducing the Ige antibody-binding capacity of the allergen. As a result, they are no longer “recognized” by the body’s immune system, alleviating the body’s allergic response (allergy attack). Allergy Relief Treatment can provide a residual effect for up to six months, when properly applied. The treatment is safe for you, your children, your pets and the environment. It is hypoallergenic, non-toxic, virtually odor free and readily biodegradable. It is specially formulated for use around people with allergic illnesses and chemical sensitivities. This product does not contain pesticides, perfumes, harmful solvents, or other hazardous ingredients.
Now that you know the facts about allergens, dust mites and mattress cleaning please give Kleenrite Carpet Care a call today to schedule your appointment at 631-451-1349.
Care Tips To Prolong The Life Of Your Mattress So You Enjoy Your Sleep For Years To Come.
- Turn your mattress regularly to help prevent unsightly and uncomfortable sagging springs. Be sure to flip both vertically and horizontally.
- Provide Support. Old, busted foundations and box spring sets may not be firm enough to provide adequate
support for a high-quality bed. When you replace your bedding, also consider replacing your foundation. If you
have a queen or king size mattress they require a frame with a center support.
- Invest in a Bedding Pad: A quality washable mattress pad will bear the brunt of your weight and the normal use of the mattress. This pad will help reduce the wear and tear on your mattress. Mattress pads will also catch stains before they reach your mattress. Replacing a stained mattress pad is much less expensive and much more convenient than replacing a quality bed. Wash the mattress pad at least once a month.
- Jump on the Trampoline, Not the bed. Although it’s tempting, avoid jumping on the beds and avoid letting others jump on the bed. Mattresses are not designed to withstand the weight of a person jumping on them.
- Call Kleenrite at 631-451-1349 to professionally clean your mattress and to remove dust mites and allergens.
- Do not use the handles to support the full weight of the mattress. Typically, handles are designed to help you position the mattress over the foundation. If used improperly, handles may pull out ripping and damaging the mattress fabric.